Skip to main content

Reply to "letters"

There is as mentioned no 1 way to get your son noticed but I did all the recruiting until the coaches wanted to talk to my son. Always started by saying my son was interested in their program and that he was a 6'3" LHP. My son reaserched your school on the internet or had heard about it in various ways. Made up a separate bios and cover page for the DVD which outlined in point form what each video was and results, level of competition etc. Very brief. Mot 1 in 25-30 coaches asked for him until they had looked at the DVD. Several schools made offers without seeing him in person.
The point is that there is no right or wrong way. Most coaches welcome the interest, understand that a parent knows more about the finanaces. I tried to keep the verbal oversell to a minimum and let the videos show his ability. Most coaches get turned off by the parents who see their kid through rose coloured glasses. Real game video was against high level competition was the only way to show his skill and the coach would decide whether he was interested or not. We showed good and bad outtings. This made it real and showed how he handled himself under pressure.
There are coaches who would not make an offer based on the videos alone. Those schools invited us for a workout or to a showcase.
The important thing is to be pro active. Being good at marketing is a bonus but coaches will understand if you are not good at it.