Skip to main content

Reply to "Levels of scouts"

There is no standard for associate scouts. Some get absolutely nothing. Others get a paid as mentioned above.

Most full time scouts, do not want their associates handing out info cards. They do want to know who has talent. The very best associates (IMO) are the ones that no one knows they are associates. Those guys can really dig up some good stuff and be extra helpful to an Area Supervisor. The worst are those who use it for other reasons (personal agendas) than what it's intended for.

Some work hard others don't do a thing other than hand out business cards and BS. Some clubs use lots of "bird dogs" others do not.

There is a big difference between an associate scout and a part time scout. The part time scout will often be listed on the club's staff. The associate scout will not be listed. The part time guy is part of the scouting department.

There are more associate scouts "bird dogs" than there are any other scout. We have run across "many" who claim to be working for a club and find out no one with that club knows who they are.

One time, I was setting at a game next to a guy who had claimed to be a Pittsburg Pirate Scout at several of our events. He was a real talker who would play the part to the hilt with kids and parents. Anyway, it just so happened that the Pirates Area Supervisor and a Pirate Crosschecker were at the same game. After realizing these people did not know one another I politely introduced the (associate) to his bosses. It was kind of interesting watching the "self proclaimed Pirate Bird Dog" squirm. I didn't say anything to the real Pirate scouts until later, after the "associate" had left.

Dad04, If he truly was making $40,000 he was either a fulltime scout or the highest paid associate scout in history! My guess is he was paid zero!

Not to take anything away from those who are associate scouts and do a great job, but there are a ton of these guys out there misleading people into thinking they are much more important than they really are. There are even some, who are not associated with the club they claim to be representing.

Worst of all, (and this has happened) is when an associate scout tells people he turned in a kid at a certain round. Or his club has a kid in at a certain round. Then those people are totally confused and frustrated when the draft doesn't include them.

If you have any doubts, find out who the Area Supervisor is... this information is easy to find... and contact him.

Also, it is important to understand that there are some very valuable associate scouts that help the MLB club a lot. The good ones are very important and well respected. Sometimes they go unknown. Unfortunately, there are a lot of the other types and that is why some clubs steer clear of having associate scouts.
Last edited by PGStaff