Skip to main content

Reply to "Life in the minors"

fan, Wow how time does fly.  From your earliest posts when it appeared Matt's best option would be a D3 in Oregon until now, Matt's experience in baseball has been truly awesome.  In my view, it would be wonderful for many who are new to this site to understand and appreciate the options which seemed limited at once, the talent and skills Matt possessed which opened other options, including the D1 in Stockton measured against the JC, and finally his being accepted at USC something like 1-2 days before school started. Quite a journey with success at every point, due to talent and lot's of hard work and sacrifice by Matt and Mom and Dad too.

Over the years I have been lucky to watch many talented players at Sunken Diamond. Matt and jemaz' son are two who stand out for me.  As I posted a few years back, Matt played the game so well, competed the right way and could hit with a toothpick. What a gorgeous swing.

Having had our son experience this "release" news a few years back, it sure seems tough right now.  Time really does make a difference. Yesterday, our son posted a picture of our  smiling 15 month old grandson on FB. He had just put on  his first baseball glove...a nice little Mizuno beauty(his first name is Derek to sort of emphasize the baseball aspects). My very first thought was get the glove out of storage, get it oiled and the time will start again to "have" a catch.

I know you won't forget all that Matt accomplished in baseball and outside of baseball. Whatever Matt has done, I would expect, will pale when compared with what he will do with all that he learned from his journey.

Congratulations!

Bill

Last edited by infielddad