Skip to main content

Reply to "Lifting Correlations"

Shoveit4Ks posted:

I will add this from personal experience. Son really didn't work out with weights until fall of his Junior year in HS and was 84-86, touching 88. 5'-9" @ 140lbs...i think. I know he was blessed with a good arm, athletic ability, fast hips and coordination but things didn't change radially until he started in the weight room and came out spring of Jr year sitting 90 up to 93. He had crushed the weights all fall with pitcher specific exercises with a former D1 pitcher coaching his lifting. All that being said, he still to this day has a few mechanical things to work out to be consistent so the work is never finished. At 5-10 (almost 5-11) 180 lbs today he well on his way and still loves to push himself in the weight room and loves the squats, dead lifts and weights overall. I mean, he looks forward to working out. His hopes are to leave school squatting 500lbs, who knows if that'll happen. I agree genetics are huge but the weight training definitely helped my son take the next step and keep him grounded in the blue collar work ethic required to get better at baseball. 

Just out of curiosity, if you can remember and don't mind sharing, what was his deadlift and squat that junior year of HS and what is it now?