Skip to main content

Reply to "Like it was the World Series"

rodk,

Welcome to the site! I hope you will stick around for a long time and let use follow you and your son. Many of the members posting in this thread have sons who are now pitching at the professional level, and others have sons at the HS and college level.

I always hope that newer members take comments like this in the positive way they are intended:

"We almost all care a bit too much about whatever level our kid(s) happen to be playing at and sometimes forget how much it meant to us back then."

To be honest, I didn't like hearing things like that when my son was playing 10-yr-old kid pitch against 12-yr-olds, or even when he was playing 8-yr-old travel hockey. At the time, I suspected that the "more experienced" parent making that comment didn't understand the level at which my son cared about his sports - or even that the parent was talking down to me. Each year after that, I understood more clearly that those parents giving advice HAD stood exactly where I stood (or sat - in the bleachers).

It's all good, and it is too soon over. (My baseball son is now 24 years old, no longer playing but still involved with baseball.) Enjoy it, be supportive of your son, cheer for his teammates AND the other team (at that age - maybe not so much in college for the other team). Smile

I've rambled on, but mostly just wanted to highlight CADad's post (I'll steal another quote):

"Enjoy it while you can. In a couple years you'll wonder how the parents of 7yo could care about what happens at that level. In a few more years you'll wonder how parents of 12yo could care..." etc.

Enjoy the ride, and keep sharing it with us, okay?

Julie
Last edited by MN-Mom