Skip to main content

Reply to "Like it was the World Series"

quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Connell:
What kid doesn't know how to ride bike by 7. Gross exaggeration. Mine rode at 4 1/2. Pitching by 6. I'm just saying the same to him.
Rod, don't get frustrated with guys who bash you when you say your kid is pitching at 7. I am one of those who has been bashed because I chose to let my kid pitch at age 6. Realistically one the other day said you should be 11 or 12 before it gets serious and keeping score and such things. There is a big difference on this site about travel versus rec ball. There are those of us who are strongly pro travel and those who are strongly pro rec. That is where the big disagreement comes in.

Again, I love this site and it has been very helpful but there are those who just attack someone who is on the other side of the trave/rec argument.

I haven't seen anyone attacked, but opinions given, everyone has different opinions.
Jeff, FWIW, my son was still playing t-ball at 7 (he had one of those birthdays where he was too young for one level and too old for another so we kept him there). At 8, there was the decsision to either go to coach pitch or another league where they pitched, which we did.
Looking back is always easier than looking ahead, and yes I am one of those that would, if had to do it over, not let son pitch until he was older. Although always healthy with very minor issues, it is my opinion that is what we should have done, because some issues have set him back as a professional. No one has to listen or take advice from anyone.
I know that things are quite different than when mine was young, but it is also my opinion that it should be about having fun, learining new skills, learning to take direction from others, being with your friends and worrying more about your after game snack than advancing to finals in a championship game, and I do not beleive I am alone in that thought. But that is ok, because it is ok to disagree.
I also believe despite differences of opinion and what we do with our kids, they all end up in the same place in the end, so does it really, really matter which path one chooses? No.