Skip to main content

Reply to "Little League and AL"

quote:
Scorekeeper quote:
Rz1, what makes you think the little kids couldn’t handle wood bats and would leave the game? We did it for many many years. Would wood perform the same way metal does? Of course not, but I’m sure there’s some other synthetic right over the horizon that will outperform the newest of modern composites.

Who can say they wouldn't leave the game? Years ago we had limited options? We did a lot of things differently years ago but does that mean we had the best way of doing it. Sometimes we sound like our grandpas. "I remember when....", "If you kids had to do things like we had to.....". Those were "their" good ol days. Why do kids today have to comply with our old standards. Were we right? Do things stop evolving because that's how we did it? I know I would have had many issues if what my dad thought was the way I had to do things. Baseball and life evolve, we are here to enjoy the ride , not control it. We're not playing, they are. Please remember that I am a wood advocate for safety purposes at older ages, but accross the board changes may be nothing more than us not letting go of a game we no longer play.
quote:
Texan quote:
Gosh, rz. In the olden days when I grew up, wood bats were all we had. There were no aluminum bats. And everyone still played the game just fine. And those old wood bats were heavier than what wood bats you can get today.
I remember going to my grandmas house and playing in this HUGE stone porch. Years later I drove by that house and smiled. That porch was really small, but in my "kid mind" it was the biggest thing on earth, and nothing was better. My point is that maybe in our mind we thought everyone played the game just fine. I personally feel that kids ages 5-11 play the game at a much higher level today and their neighborhood team would kick our neighborhood teams arse. Sure, some kids would have no problem with adapting to wood, but factor in the entire "group" and I think you might have "resulting issues".
Last edited by rz1