Skip to main content

Reply to "Little League and AL"

If someone has already mentioned this, guess this is just an agreement.

As someone who has seen both wood and metal used at nearly every level, I think all these tests are meaningless. Also I really don’t think the ball is hit much harder or farther with a metal bat.

Rather than spending a fortune on scientific testing, why not use good old common sense!

For example…

Everyone will agree that batting averages are much higher when metal bats are used. This has been proven, time and time again!

This should tell us that MORE balls are hit HARD with metal bats. Not hit harder as much as being hit hard more often!

This means that more balls are also hit hard back through the middle using metal bats. The pitcher is obviously the one player the most at risk.

We all know the reasons why more balls are hit hard with metal and it doesn’t have to take a scientist to figure it out! Now if the exit speed is only slightly more or even the same but the frequency of balls being hit hard is much, much higher… Wouldn’t it make sense that the wood bat is less dangerous, based on percentages.
There is the #1 reason for using wood! SAFETY!

The #2 reason is it’s a much better game! IMO

The #3 reason is it’s the equipment used at the highest level. I don’t know, but in other sports where a ball is hit, do they use different equipment in high school and college than they do at the professional level? If so, please let me know.