Skip to main content

Reply to "Little League and AL"

quote:
Originally posted by PGStaff:
Everyone will agree that batting averages are much higher when metal bats are used. This has been proven, time and time again!

Although I’d tend to agree, I don’t know where its been proven? I’d be interested in reviewing the data if you can help me out.

quote:
This should tell us that MORE balls are hit HARD with metal bats. Not hit harder as much as being hit hard more often!

I don’t think how “HARD” balls are hit is what makes the difference. Maybe that metal bats can have a much much larger sweet spot than a point 6 inches from the
end of the barrel
which is where the BESR tests are made, has an effect. IOW, a ball it 3” from the end of the bat or 9” from the end of the bat have the same potential.

Also, there’s little doubt in my mind that a 2 seamer that’s hit 4” above the hand on a metal bat might just drop in for a duck **** single, while if the bat was wood, would end up shattering the bat and being an easy out to the P.

quote:
This means that more balls are also hit hard back through the middle using metal bats. The pitcher is obviously the one player the most at risk.

Where did you get that? I’m willing to believe it, but there has to be some kind of data behind it.

quote:
We all know the reasons why more balls are hit hard with metal and it doesn’t have to take a scientist to figure it out! Now if the exit speed is only slightly more or even the same but the frequency of balls being hit hard is much, much higher… Wouldn’t it make sense that the wood bat is less dangerous, based on percentages.
There is the #1 reason for using wood! SAFETY!

I’m sorry, but I can’t buy that. Like I’ve said, the final word on it are the insurance companies, and they don’t agree that its much more dangerous if it is at all.

quote:
The #2 reason is it’s a much better game! IMO

Much more traditionally accurate, for sure. But a “better” game? that’s pretty much an individual thing, just like whether or not the DH rule is a better or worse game.

I certainly believe wood exposes hitter’s weaknesses far more than metal does. It also gives a much better indication of a pitcher’s ability than metal does. So in that sense. I agree that wood provides a much better game.

quote:
The #3 reason is it’s the equipment used at the highest level. I don’t know, but in other sports where a ball is hit, do they use different equipment in high school and college than they do at the professional level? If so, please let me know.

Why limit it to sports where a ball is hit? ;-)

There’s no doubt that to us fans of the more traditional game, baseball’s been tinkered to death to try to make play at all levels appear to b the same as play at he ML level, and like you, I think its done more to hurt the game than help it.

But what can be done about it? As you and others have pointed out many times, the reality of the game is what it is. The game has forever changed, and even if everyone wanted to take it back to what it once was, it can’t happen.

The second society decided it wanted a game that was more glitz, glamour, and power, baseball had to make some difficult choices. It either had to change and give the fans what they wanted, or the fans would leave, and with them, the players would also eventually leave.

Baseball’s tried to provide the best of both the old world and the new, but the jury’s obviously still out on the result.