Skip to main content

Reply to "Little League and AL"

itinthegame,

I do go to games, I do watch, and I do get it that metal bats are more dangerous and do provide a definite advantage over wood.

I GET IT!

I HATE THE FREAKIN’ THINGS!

I TOO HAVE A SON WHO WAS A COLLEGE PITCHER, AND I DID WORRY ABOUT HIS SAFTEY!

But, I am saying that I’m not sure that metal bats alone are so much more dangerous than wood, that it’s the main reason I wish they’d just go away!

I’m feeling pretty impotent here, not because I don’t think my argument has merit, but because you other folks are so willing to accept conjecture and perception rather than facts.

I’ve been watching the game for a heck of a long time now, and other than the batting helmet and the rules for throwing at batters, and fighting, nothing’s really changed as far as safety. I’m sure there are things we don’t know about, but I’m talking about the game itself.

But the game below the pros has constantly been made “safer”, to the point of what some would say is ridiculous. I surely don’t want to see anyone get hurt, but c’mon. when you decide to make a change to the game because of safety, how about at least making sure safety is an issue!

I’m gonna guess that the chances of a pitcher getting significantly injured by a batted ball, is less than him/her getting seriously injured from the time s/he leaves class, home, or whatever heading to the game, until the umpire call Play Ball!

I’m not for metal at all. I’m against a lynch mob mentality that wants to act just because they don’t like something.