Skip to main content

Reply to "Living in North Carolina, South Carolina, Northern Georgia"

@RJM posted:

I remember back in the 80’s one of the “in” things to do was move to Wyoming, Montana or Idaho. In my 20’s I loved Wyoming. While successful, my professional world was hectic. I hated the politics of the corporate world. Traffic in LA was getting worse and worse. Trips to Wyoming maintained my sanity.

I considered I could raft guide on the Snake (I was white water certified) and be a ski instructor in the winter. Then there was a follow up article in the LA Times on people who made the move. 80% returned to Southern California within two years. What appeared to be idyllic on vacation became boring as every day life. 

Besides, had I become a raft guide and ski instructor in Wyoming I would have had to grow a beard.

A thing to consider and it’s part of the ratings in any “best places to retire” articles is the quality of the health care in the area. When you get older something you never considered (quality of health care) may save your life.

Wyoming and Montana are a couple places we would like to retire to.  Been to Montana 6 or so times and fall in love with it every time.  Haven’t been there in 8 years though due to family expanding and baseball using my vacation days.  I have a little one who just turned 6 so I’m at least 12 - 16 years from retiring 😩

Last edited by Dadof3