Skip to main content

Reply to "LLWS, Here We Go Again"

quote:
Originally posted by Low Finish:
There's a proper way to throw a curveball, and an improper way to throw a curveball. Most pitchers throw the curve improperly. Studies indicate that the curveball is no more stressful on the arm than a fastball.

However, there is an overuse factor. Just like it takes hundreds of fastballs to throw it consistently, it takes hundreds of curveballs to throw it consistently. These hundreds of curveballs help lead to degradation of the UCL, which is a huge part in Tommy John.

On the other hand, I see nothing wrong with throwing a curveball as long as it's no more than 1-5 times a game. There's an age at which this becomes less of a worry, but unless the pitcher is biologically older than 16, an overuse issue can prevent the arm from continuing its growth.

As for the LLWS, I hate watching it. Especially when you have children bigger than I am. Remember Luke Ramirez: 6'2", 200 lbs? Is is really fair to a kid 4' 11", 90 lbs to get pitched to by him?

Finally, I can't stand the hitters. Most of them have TERRIBLE mechanics. The aluminum -8 to -12 covers it up so they can look like the big hero on ESPN. These kids struggle with the -3 bats. I want to see it played with wood. Louisville Slugger would become an even wealthier company overnight. I would like to see kids have wood bats. No more "dead hands, no stride, squash the bug, swing down"
hitting. It would help everybody so much and indicate that the US is very far behind in terms of hitters.