Skip to main content

Reply to "LLWS, Here We Go Again"

Interesting thread because there are really two subjects worth considering here. The curveball thing and the LLWS in and of itself.

I'm sure there strong feelings all the way around, but I'm with the folks who are disinterested in the LLWS. To me it all comes down to post-May 1 13 year-olds playing on a 60-foot diamond, with a 46 foot mound, and 220 foot fences. It seems absolutely inauthentic to me.

As for the curveball thing, it seems so utterly prevalent in this age group now. I have no opinion on the health issue because I don't think studies have been (or can be) definitive at all. The problem I have with the curve at 12 years-old is that it's become an utter crutch for kids (or kids' coaches, or their dads, or all of these) who want to get outs without learning how to really pitch.

From what I've seen over the past two years as my son entered and passed through this age-group, kids with semi-reliable curves use them invariably to get 'swing and miss' strikeouts because they can't spot their fastballs with any consistency, and/or change speeds in any useful way. Count goes to 0-2? Here comes Charlie.

To me that's just an unsustainable approach to developing a young pitcher. These kids have to be able to move a fastball around AND change speeds as he grows inorder to remain successful.