Skip to main content

Reply to "LLWS, Here We Go Again"

I would like to issue a word of caution, when it comes down to criticizing little league coaches whether it be about the number of curve balls thrown or decisions during the game.
I think most coaches have the best interest of the kids in mind. I would think there is a certain amount of anxiety a coach feels with his team being on national television. In most cases the coaches have little experience in having their actions televised.
I have coached little league all star teams that consistently made it to state semi-finals and finals. In more than one of those cases the team lost because I made incorrect baseball decisions.
I also had a situation where I allowed a pitcher on a 9-10 all star game to throw 110 pitches. I had no idea that he was that high, In the late innings I was concerned about getting everyone the required playing time. My assistant coaches didn’t advise me of the pitch count. My fault, as I didn’t identify an assistant to keep a pitch count. For those who knew my coaching style, I was normally very conservative with the number of pitches a kid threw and who could throw a curveball This was one time in which I was so consumed with the other things going on with the game, I lost track of the pitch count.
I watch the LLWS every year. I enjoy is as I am aware of time and effort the players, coaches and families put into the goal of reaching the LLWS. From that perspective the LLWS is a positive event.