Skip to main content

Reply to "LLWS, Here We Go Again"

quote:
Originally posted by nolan ryan:
TPM - 1,470 pitches over 10 weeks (147 per wk)and 26 appearances (avg 56 pitches per game)is excessive bordering on child abuse. Please tell me the right level for my son. Thanks

Here's a guideline I found. If outdated someone please correct.
http://www.asmi.org/asmiweb/position_statement.htm

ML pitchers don't throw 147 pitches per week why would 15 year olds?

You are making justification by spreading it out, I am not sure that it works that way. It is very important what a pitcher does. An example would be let's suppose a pitcher did 8 innings with 100 pitches but in one inning he pitched 40, you don't average it as a good outing, you pay lots of attention to that one inning. Saying he struggled in one inning but made it through is subjective, in that one inning there could have been lots of stuff gone wrong later on, you ust don't know.

TR is right, it's all about common sense, common sense tells me that 14,15 year olds do not have to spend that much time on a pitching mound.

But if it does to you that is fine.

We were very careful with our pitcher, he had all the physical attributes your son has, I am not sure that has anything to do with it, as you will see all types of pitchers with issues, short, tall, stocky, left handed, right handed. I am not an expert I just see the heartache that pitchers go through when injury occurs at all levels. It's all about risk, and my suggestion is minimizing that while you have control over it. You all seem to think that as your sons get older there will be more restrictions, better control, not true. As your sons get older the stakes get higher. There still exists that HS or college coach who will push the limit as much as he can for a win. The better yoor son, the more he can be abused.

It's just a suggestion, you can do what you feel is best, but placing your son in that many games to get better isn't a good reason, your son has plenty of time, years in fact, to get to keep playing, the one thing that can end it...injury.

I am not a fan of weighted balls either, and beleive that injury is part due to genetics, but that doesn't mean because you have good ones, you can go overboard. Save those good genes for later when it counts!

As I said I have no dog in this fight, I only hope adn wish for your pitchers to be able to reach their dream, but sometimes that gets clouded by people who mean well, but just dont realize the pitfalls.
Last edited by TPM