Skip to main content

Reply to "LLWS"

quote:
Originally posted by Callaway:
Grateful

quote:
Guys, though I agree that LL rules (specifically pitching, leadoffs, dropped third strikes) are a little behind the other organizations, it doesn't hurt a pitcher (or baserunner) in his development.

I disagree. This past spring, our HS program selected three 7th graders over other 8th and 9th grade kids for the JV team. Specifically, they were "far advanced" over the other boys. The HS coach said that the boy's skill level and knowledge level "didn't even compare" to the rec players. These three boys are the result of the first "group" of boys in our area to leave rec ball and play travel ball exclusively since they were 9 and 10yo.

BTW, a few years prior, that same HS coach said that travel ball would "ruin his future HS ball players". He is very happy with what he is getting now, in terms of knowledge, experience and quality. I know that there were kids that were convinced that they were going to make the HS team that were simply left behind. Can those boys catch up? Certainly some, but why play catch-up and sit out and possibly lose any chance to play HS ball. Seems risky to me. JMO.

Callaway,

i understand what you are saying, but a little teaching/coaching can go a long way. I'll give you an example.

When my son was 12 and his team only played in LL and in tournaments with LL rules, we entered them in a 13 year old tournament. I had a 90 minute practice the night before the tournament began, and the only thing we did was work on pitching from the stretch, leadoffs, steals, pickoffs. We finished second in the tournament. Our team was the only team in the tournament that did not have a balk.

My son and his teammates did just fine when they advanced into high school. Ane he is now a fine DI pitcher and pro prospect.

So I see your point, but at the same time, a little teaching/coaching with some players that will listen will do wonders.
Last edited by grateful