Skip to main content

Reply to "LLWS"

Interesting thread ... and since we were blessed enough to have a son go to the Little League World Series, representing the Western Region (when there were only 4) in 1995, who went on to play travel ball, I may have a different perspective on Little League and the roll I believe it plays in our country.

There are lots of things that could be improved in Little League, especially for the 11-12 year olds. For many, by the time the world series comes around, they seem to have outgrown the fields. But not all Little Leaguers are that physically mature as we can all tell from their vital statistics.

I believe Little League is "good" TV because more people can relate to it than the more sophisticated travel/elite squads. The program is international and in 1995, over 7,000 All Star teams started the process that took 8 teams to Williamsport. (It takes talent and some luck along the way to get there!!!) As a result, I belive that more people understand the excitement of it because the numbers are so big ... and so, they watch it and it becomes "good" TV from a marketing standpoint.

Wherever there is a Little League program, it gives the local "ball players" an opportunity and a place to play, even if they aren't the most talented or skilled. Not every young player should be competing at higher levels of competition ... an understatement of the decade I am sure ... and I honestly believe that the "travel teams", which were once considered the more elite programs, have been diluted in talent because the more average players are "moving up". Each year it seems there is a new league somewhere that is drawing the best of the best up to a new level to counteract the dilution of talent, and it almost seems like a never ending cycle. (I will say that I am not a proponent for travel ball at the early ages ... I think 11/12 are good ages to start but that is strictly a personal opinion and one that my husband and I both share, and he was the coach of the average. below average, and above averge players in LL, AABC, AAU, tournament teams, etc., so I value his opinion immensely.) During the winter before our son's All Star summer, two of our LL coaches formed a tournament team for the winter. The plan was to get the most likely All Star candidates to play together as a team ... at the time, it was an interesting concept for a very competitive group that was used to playing against the other All Star players, not with them. It was not something that was done in our area 10 years ago. In retrospect, that effort seems to have played a significant role in their summer success as they headed to Williamsport with a record of 20 and 1.

Personally, we didn't see the LL experience as harmful to the players' future successes. Of the 12 players that traveled to Williamsport, 9 went on to play in high school (most on the same team), 8 went on to play in college (4 year and JUCO), and now there are 4 playing professionally (all 4 were 4-year college players) ... 2 drafted as juniors, one drafted as a senior, and one signing as a free agent.

Yes, LL could be better, could be more competitive, but I believe it serves a good purpose in our society, I believe it makes for "good TV", and I for one always watch the LLWS in August. And I still bring out the video tapes of our son's games in 1995 ... usually after the series is over. Wink

JMHO after being there, doing that, and "buying the t-shirt" Cool
Last edited by FutureBack.Mom