Skip to main content

Reply to "Location"

quote:
Originally posted by Prime9:
quote:
I am not sure exactly what the odds are, but i am betting that batters who get walked are far more likely to end up scoring than batters who don't get walked.

Interesting thought. But then are you suggesting that, for example, a lead off base runner is statistically more likely to score if he reached base via a walk than a base hit?

Suppose you had iny of these counts- a 3-0, 3-1 or a 3-2 count, the batter has better odds of scoring if he gets walked versus either striking out, or putting the ball into play in this situation. We give batters way too much credit at the cost of giving up walks that in up coming around to score more often than we think. It's a type of mentality and approach we often overlook I guess. A pitcher who gets in this count situation is thus better off throwing strikes and challenging the batter rather than giving in and walking him. A base on balls is in essence- a perfect hit- it means the same thing- it puts a runner on that is thus that much closer to getting home and scoring.