Skip to main content

Reply to "Logjam of college players - LA Times article - Will likely create higher level of talent in D2/3"

@PitchingFan posted:

I didn't spend money on my kid for lessons and very little for him to play travel but do wish I had spent some money on someone helping with ACT/SAT scores.  He had As/Bs all the way through but there is easy money there if you have the right ACT/SAT scores. 

High grades make a kid eligible for athletic and academic money. My kids only received 25% athletic. But they received 50% academic money. All they had to do keep it was maintain a 3.0 gpa. Going in I told them if they don’t graduate with a 3.5 or better enter the job market or grad school as average as everyone else. 

My daughter was so afraid softball would affect her grades she graduated with a 3.97. My son got a 2.7 the first semester. This is the kid who has mastered falling out of trees and landing on his feet scoring a perfect 10. I told him he would be at the local JuCo next year if he didn’t get a 3.3 the second semester. He got a 3.5. I informed him 3.5 became the expectation. He graduated with a 3.6 in three years by getting 3.7 to 4.0 the rest of the way and went on to the MBA program. He went from screwing off first semester to taking summer classes online while playing summer ball. 

Last edited by RJM