Skip to main content

Reply to "Long distance and HC exposure"

I had heard a lot about Headfirst (HF) and Showball (SB) on this site way before my son had any specific interest in HA schools. They both are highly regarded especially with regard to direct exposure to coaches. As my son's journey progressed I came to realize that assistant coaches, and in a lot of cases recruiting coordinators, do not have as much influence as one might think. Yes, I had also learned that camps are money makers for coaches, especially volunteer assistants. So when one of these coaches is talking to a player at a camp and says "come to our camp" that tells me he does not have much influence in the recruiting process. This may especially be the case for HA schools.

So my advice would be to target one of the SB Head Coach camps on either west coast or east coast. Make sure the schools you are interested in are attending and that your son has had ongoing communication with them before you go. Or, if possible, attend the camp the assistant coach is recommending you attend if that is a top choice!

My son attended a few school camps both early and late in the recruiting process. Some things I would point out:

1. They are great early in the recruiting journey if for no other reason than to provide your son with the college baseball experience. This may help to "light a fire" or "open your son's eyes" to what it takes to play college baseball.

2. They can either make you or break you. The good thing is the coaching staff has an opportunity to see you up close and personal. They may have had interest before the camp as they see you from afar but the camp may also provide them with a reason to simply cross you off their recruiting list. Once a coach formulates an opinion it rarely changes. But I certainly think it is better to know sooner rather then later. And later could be fall of your freshman year in college! 

3. Like most other camps, they are a mechanism for producing income for coaches.