Skip to main content

Reply to "Long distance and HC exposure"

HA D1 coaches will go to summer 17U tournaments to watch players of interest.  If your son is playing in those (including, in the midwest, Grand Park, Cincy Flames, Music City), and of course WWBA, then if they are interested and still have open spots, they will come to watch him.  Do you have a travel coach who could ask those coaches about their level of interest?  That's the best, before going to a camp. 

I wonder about camps.  My son was asked for transcripts by one D1, then invited to their camp, but he genuinely couldn't go (it was plane ride away, busy time of year).  If he had gone, I don't think he would have impressed them anyway (60-time), which is partly why we decided not to spend the money.  But, we will always wonder what if.

If you were on someone's radar, send them more video as soon as you have it, and your summer schedule.  What's his 60-time? Fastball velo?  If those go up, send that info also (documented in some way, or on video, if possible).  Another thing about Headfirst is, I think, that they make the video available to all the schools that were there, so even if it was just an AC, the HC should have access to it.

No SAT/ACT yet?  You need one of those before HAs will be seriously interested, hope he is in the process of doing that.

Make sure you also target HA D3s starting now, they are less likely to be at tournaments, so a camp like Headfirst or Showball matters more, if you stand out.