Skip to main content

Reply to "Long Toss , versus Bullpen and building velocity."

quote:
Originally posted by Gingerbread Man:
quote:
I have serious doubt whether you are really interested in getting your son's arm stronger because you seem to discount these other things. Based on using Alan Jaeger's long-toss program (as subscribed by BOF) for over a dozen years in our program, it works.

I have put my middle school players on a banding and long-toss program through the whole spring and have seen a dramatic increase in arm srength and velocity. There is no doubt that if you put in the time, you will see results with that program. I've seen way too many success stories.

I am not saying long toss doesn't work. I am just weighing the options of changing sons workout routine midstream. I mean really- if he is still able to throw as fast as the best talent around maybe there is nothing wrong with his appraoch. He still throws basically the same in his bullpen work, just without the crow-hop and angle for distance.

What it really might come down to is effort! If a kid is wise in his bullpen work he should be able to put in a max effort throwing workout that resembles the effort done in long toss.

In my sons case, I attribute his arm strength and velocity up to this point as part genetic ability (a little taller and stronger than average), part proper and repeatable mechanics, and mostly just throwing a lot of baseballs (about an hour to two hours a day). None of his workout routine ever has included a long toss program. Now I am not saying that LT will or will not increase his velocity and arm strength. I am just saying that maybe his bullpen style of work achieves possibly the same or better results.

My feelings about bullpens is it shouldn't be max effort, it's a time to feel for mechanics in low stress situations, feel for release points, feel for your off speed, staying fresh.

LT for me was another way to condition my arm.