Skip to main content

Reply to "Long Toss , versus Bullpen and building velocity."

My husband taught son everything he knew, at the age your son is at he decided that as much as he knew someone else knew better. It was also a learning experience for him.
No one said you sucked, however, as a coach it is YOUR responsibility to provide the best training and conditioning for your players. You can do what you want with your own son, but do what is right for others and that includes not being narrow minded.

Seems to me that you are confused about throwing everyday vs pitching everyday. Pro players DO NOT pitch everyday. They throw everyday. They have a regular routine that begins immediately after they are done pitching, until the next time they pitch. It does not include pitching after you just pitched. If your method worked, every pitching coach would be doing it, wonder why they are not?

BTW, they don't sit around being babied or doing nothing. The routine they follow is NOTHING as you describe (neither in college either or in HS for that matter).

You don't want to incorporate a strict LT program, that may be your choice, but FWIW, pitching is about incorporating the mechanics and conditioning of the entire body, those pitchers that throw hard and all in the arm, are subject to injury and that is a known fact.

Your son is young and healthy, he should feel well, but he is young and has not pitched even half of what is required to get to where he or you might want him someday, that is the issue. Don't ever feel that because he is gaining velocity there might not be anything going on, inside.

I am not arguing that you NEED to incorporate a LT program if you feel no need to, this benefits ALL players. But for your son to pitch, go home and pitch somemore, ain't gonna work, you will understand that someday. I do hope that young pitchers here reading your son's success story (at 14)DO NOT follow that model.

You started a topic about the hopes and dreams that you have for your son, I really truely hope that you see that someday.