Skip to main content

Reply to "Long toss vs. actual pitching velocity"

quote:
Originally posted by TPM:

IMO, there is no real value in being able to just chuck a ball 300 feet, whether you are decent, good or great.

I agree with this. I think, for a pitcher, if he starts to dramatically, or even minutely, change his mechanics while throwing, it could have negative implications. I don't disagree with having to participate in some kind of flat ground throwing program, but I don't think it NEEDS to be out to 300+ feet.

Each individual is different. For some it is probably fine and they will benefit from it. I also think for some it is not so good and may wind up hurting them in the long run.

I read about what CADad was referring to about the ASMI study. They basically said that throwing those long distances was harder on the arm than pitching from a mound. We can speculate that it is because of higher velocities, or whether it was altered mechanics used in order to throw further and with a different trajectory. The problem is, ASMI did not come to any conclusions as to why there was more force placed on the arm, only that it was.

Once again, I am not trying to change anyone's mind. I just think that for some, throwing that ball that far is not a necessity and may be a negative thing.