Skip to main content

Reply to "Long toss vs. actual pitching velocity"

quote:
Originally posted by MTH:
Quite the contrary. The only reason I ask is that stride is not something most people mention, unless someone has really stressed it to them. I asked the question about your son because I have seen Sully's pitching video and don't recall stride being a point of emphasis. Just thought it might have been something that the Cards were emphasizing.

Tom House says and I'm paraphrasing here, the brain will only let the body stride as far as strength and conditioning allow. So lengthing the stride will really require a lot of work.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, more and more guys seem to be preaching moving as far and as fast as possible. Some are really emphasizing pushing off (gasp), or as one guy calls it, triple extension. I generally don't put a lot of stock in the internet gurus, but if you get bored sometime go to the forum page on topvelocity.net. Listen to his analysis as he compares the guys who send in videos to MLB power pitchers. Interesting stuff.
quote:
Originally posted by TPM:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MTH:

Why do you ask, do believe that a long stride is not necessary?

I don't think that I said that this was verbally mentioned, might or might not have been, I wasn't there, maybe something like the push/pull thing from the rubber, something you just don't verbally talk about but you have to stress the importance of conditioning those parts that will help with better mechanics. I just know that after three years with KO, things were a lost less sloppy. Smile I would venture to guess that son's stride is about 80-85% (perhaps 5% more due to body maturity and better cond) than in HS/college.