Skip to main content

Reply to "Long toss vs. actual pitching velocity"

quote:
Originally posted by Gingerbread Man:
quote:
Originally posted by TPM:
I kind of tried to cover many of our discussions that we have had here with GBM's doomsday.

One question, why are you opposed to a pitcher throwing from same slot? What would be the necessity to do so?

My understanding has always been that every pitch should appear as if it were a FB. If a pitcher throws from different slots (different pitches) the better hitters recognize this. One can get away with it it as a youth pitcher, in HS, maybe college, but the buck usually stops there.

So, in reality you are saying if the pitcher has 3 pitches they all should come from different slots? How does that work?

TPM seems wholly unaware that-YES, even in the big leagues, on occasion, there are a few pitchers who change arm slots and can still throw all of their pitches from a different slot. Is it a normal thing that "all pitchers" do? NO, but it is true that even in the highest level of baseball competition you still have a few pitchers who are able to, and occasionally do change arm slots during a game.

TPM still refuses to believe this phenomenon and has since decryed the doom of poor GBM as being a heretic!

What exactly are you refering to, throwing different pitches from different slots or the same pitch from different slots? That is something only a very very few can do and not recommended by most pitching coaches. If it's something you don't see done often (as you stated), there is a reason why, what would you suppose that reason is GBM?

Did I ever say I never saw it, please show me, however I can show where you said it was a good thing because your son did it.

Keep in mind we are not speaking about ML pitchers GBM (I just know you can't wait for your son to become one), we are speaking about pitchers on the youth level, not sure how many can actually be successful with too much going on with different mechanics.

DK threw from multiple slots in HS (he was fast and could get away with it), and it took his college pitching coach almost 3 years to correct and his AA coach had to recorrect as he was tipping his CU.

So if you are recommending it, I would as a parent (if reading this), take the advice from Kevin O'Sullivan and Dennis Martinez, over GBM from Idahooooooooo.
Last edited by TPM