Skip to main content

Reply to "Long toss vs. actual pitching velocity"

@wz8fvm posted:
How does long tossing distance correspond to actual pitching velocity? Its much easiler to measure distance than to have a radar gun. I know there is a program from Florida State that equates distance to velocity but I have no idea how accurate it is. Any input?
@wz8fvm posted:
How does long tossing distance correspond to actual pitching velocity? Its much easiler to measure distance than to have a radar gun. I know there is a program from Florida State that equates distance to velocity but I have no idea how accurate it is. Any input?
@wz8fvm posted:

I was long tossing 330-350 in highschool... However, on the mound I struggled to get my lower half to sync up. So my fastball was 88-92mph.... Which today with pitch fx and stat cast would be 92-95mph. We used crappy speed guns in the 1990s.... And clocked "plate speed"