Skip to main content

Reply to "Looking at strike three, a good thing?"

Stats,

I don't have any actual numbers to go by.  It is just the way our teams played back when I coached. I don't need any history in order to know what 50-50 will produce in the long run. Once again, the only question is, what is 50-50.   Is it on the black, three inches off the black, or something else?  It can change depending on who's calling it. In the end it is all up to the hitter to decide. I love it when a lead off hitter with a full count takes a close ball four.  I also like it if he is rung up on that same pitch. The easy thing is to swing at that pitch.

Too close to take is fitting for Old School and I can't argue that thinking. Actually I believe in that also most of the time. Except when my lead off hitter has a three ball count. Then IMO it should be "not good enough to swing at" and get myself out. Pitchers love to throw to the too close to take guys.

Basically the biggest difference between MLB and AAA hitters and those in the lower levels... The higher the level the more strikes they swing at and the less balls they swing at. I'm pretty sure anyone who has been at those levels would agree.