Skip to main content

Reply to "Looking at strike three, a good thing?"

You guys are good!

Yes I believe all and any information is valuable.  I've said before that there is no definition of what a 50-50 pitch is.  It only matters to the hitter and the umpire.

If I had to describe a 50-50 pitch guess it would be the pitch outside the strike zone that can, and sometimes is, called a strike.

I really don't care how people do things these days. I'm mostly interested in talent now days.  The level where we used these things was highest level small college baseball. It's really more of a thought process than anything else.  Hitter understanding his job, the situation, and the potential results.  I would only disagree with the thought that hitters shouldn't think. Though I know there are some great hitters who don't think a whole lot.

Also, the idea is to learn the game.  There are kids that hit .600 in the local 13 year old league, but they will have to change to be able to ever hit at a much higher level. This brings me to another pet peeve... that old saying... "If it aint broke don't fix it"

Young kids might hit like crazy against soft throwing pitchers and weak fielding teams. Then that same approach makes them a very poor hitter when they see what is out there.  Kind of like that BP star that can't hit in the games.  When everything about the game is faster, the flaws become very obvious.  Maybe they should have been fixed earlier on, rather than basking in the young boys short term success.