Skip to main content

Reply to "Looking like we may have a normal college season!"

@Viking0 posted:

We have the fun of sharing our HS field with the local mid-major D1 College team (they are having a new stadium being built that is supposed to be done in a little over a month).  We are in the South, so things aren't as strict as in other areas (not arguing whether it is good or bad).  As far as practice and throwing, they seem to be fully ramped up.

Also, on a related note, our HS kids are much more ramped up than they were in previous years.  A lot of this, I believe with my uneducated opinion on the matter, is due to how shortened things were last year, and the coaches want to be sure they do things right with all this extra time to plan.

Good point, Viking... I'm sure we'll see it both ways.  Son's mid-major is also in the South (TN) and yes, generally, not as strict regionally.  But the AD at the school, as I'm sure is the case in many places, fears liability and leans toward more strict guidelines.  Also, there have been periodic shutdowns within the program due to reported cases and exposure/proximity to someone or some group that has someone who tests positive, therefore disrupting throwing programs.  Some of the P's have found go-arounds and some have not.

Brings up an interesting question... I know that college P's have to be careful they are not caught "out of protocol" with any school or NCAA guidelines.  I wonder if HS P's have a little more flexibility in seeking options/places to maintain their throwing programs.  Of course, it will vary by school/district but your comment has me thinking that in many areas, there are more go-arounds for the HS player than the college player.  I've certainly heard about related disruptions at both levels.

Last edited by cabbagedad