Skip to main content

Reply to "Louisburg Junior College?"

If you live in North Carolina, any state JUCO should be cheaper than Louisburg, which is a private school. Also, we found that not many JUCOs have dorms (Louisburg does), which you have to factor in if you don't have other living options.

One of the truths out there regarding most schools is that your "family" contribution comes off the top of the price of the school. There will be those who get a better deal, but not many.

Another truth is that schools will hit you up for as big a loan figure as it can get away with. For a freshman, the first-year guaranteed (subsidized) figure is something like $2,650.

Do the math. If your family contribution is, say, $2,000, if the price of attendance is $4,650 or less, you're likely not to get much if any athletic money.

Louisburg is just like any other other place; it doesn't want to spend money needlessly. I wish they'd had given more to my kid, but that's another story.

The bottom line: Ask good (and hard) questions, verify as much as possible and than weigh the plusses and minuses of each school.

Surry is one of three good programs in that league and two others are getting closer to the top all the time. My son went to Louisburg this year because Virginia doesn't have those kinds of options.