Skip to main content

Reply to "Low to mid D1 vs D2 Choice"

This is extremely good advice.  And is exactly what my 2021 is planning on doing.  The only question now is whether he goes HA D3 or regular D3.

it is REALLY easy to fall into that trap that RJM illustrates above, especially as travel ball has evolved.  We see a ton of kids falling into that trap.  In most cities of 300,000 or more plus the surrounding area, there are a couple of big dogs, MLB Draft picks, SEC ballplayers etc... and inevitably, your son and mine grew up competing with and against those kids ... 

Just because my kid has hit singles off of D1 commits doesn’t make him D1.  Just because he threw out a MLB draft pick by 3 steps in some random game does not make him an MLB Draft pick

Its really really easy to see your son competing on the same field as the big dogs, put those Dad Goggles on and say “my son is almost as good as that kid”.  Reality Check:  he’s not.  Mine isn’t.  Yours isn’t either.

And even if he was “almost as good”... you know how many players fit that exact skillset as “almost as good”?  Thousands and thousands.

Power Fives aren’t looking for almost as good.

so anyways, rant over (for now)... go D3, get a great education, have fun actually PLAYING Baseball in college, (as opposed to sitting on the bench or being the bullpen catcher)

Last thing: if a kid really is as good as as one might think they could develop into and hits .400+ in college with HR’s left and right?  Trust me when I tell you the MLB SCOUTS will very easily find him, in D3 or a JUCO in Wyoming or anywhere

Great post. In fact, consistency is probably the key thing that most people don't recognize in terms of a predictors of how far a player can go. With pitchers, it's the difference between sits and touches. With position players, it's the same thing. Just because you hit .700 in a PG tournament once doesn't offset the other 3 PG tournaments where you went hitless and didn't get the ball out of the infield. Look at the kids who everyone talks about...he's getting at least 2 hits in 98% of the PG tournament games that he plays...and they are loud hits.