Skip to main content

Reply to "Low to mid D1 vs D2 Choice"

My guy had opportunities at several D-1's and D-2's. One of the D-1's was (is) a top contender each year in the ACC. It came down to who showed the most love. One out of state D-1 offered what amounted to a 60% scholarship and the other was as a recruited walk on. The D-2's were closer to 100% when all aid was was calculated and they were very aggressive in their recruiting. The out of state D-1 was pretty aggressive as well, but the costs were still out of our budget. My son eventually settled on the D-2 and had post season play for the years he was there. He played virtually every inning of every game and we were able to attend every collegiate game he played.

The only thing that causes me any look back was a statement by the recruiter of the ACC D-1 who is no longer at this program. He stated that if my son went the D-2 route he would probably not be drafted until his senior year, and that if he was at their D-1 he might go after his Junior year and either way would receive more money out of his D-1. In hindsight he may have been correct on those counts. However, looking back we are all thrilled with the experience he had while playing in college.

I am a believer in go where they love you, and he did chose University of Tampa due to the number of players drafted out of their program and their winning record. Funny thing that one of the D-2's that recruited him wanted him for their Short Stop (he primarily played 3rd) and that program went on to win the World Series that year,lol. Barry University.