Skip to main content

Reply to "Low to mid D1 vs D2 Choice"

Originally Posted by ilovebaseball:
Originally Posted by Consultant:

what are your goals your sons goals and objectives?

watching the Tigers Oakland game. 10 players played in our events.

they all had goals and objectives. be real!,

Bob

Thanks Bob - love the response!

We always need to have our son's best interests when they are invited/offered at any school.  My perspective is academics come first.  Chances of playing ball at any level above college (any level - D1 through DIII) are very slim.  For many parents that may sound harsh - and I'm sorry if this isn't what you wanted to hear.  Before I hear all the "what's your son's GPA, ACT/SAT score" - he's not going to be a brain surgeon, top 15% of his 900+ class and we're preaching grades first.

On another note - I'm a parent that can't afford to travel / or won't take my son out of high school to play on the PG games that are always going on - can someone please explain to me where all these kids come from?  I'm confused - are all these parents putting athletics first before school?  Seems to me that some folks are all about the PG rankings, is that people think that is what is takes to get coaches to notice you? Not in our case - and NO, our son is not a pitcher.  Don't get me wrong - I have nothing against PG. 

Please don't ask me how my son is doing - we're pleased with his baseball skills as well.  Tough Texas District. Started sophomore year - 1st team all district.

Be happy for your son - have you asked him what's important to him? 

It's great if your son is getting attention without having to travel. But,there are a lot of us out here where that is not the case.  As far as pulling you child out to attend a showcase/tournament event, it does not mean that you are sacrificing grades.  In my sons case, if he does not do the work ahead of time, then it's a no-go.  So, it is actually a motivator.  So it's not one or the other, it's a balance, which is a great lesson to learn.  And it's not about the ranking, it's about the exposure, but like I said, if your son is getting lots of looks and attention without going this route, that is absolutely great, and I am sure a lot of us wish were in that situation....I know my bank account would be