Skip to main content

Reply to "Lower half pitching mechanics"

Originally Posted by nspeltz11:
I have been doing some research on how the hips should move, and I came to realize that I seem to be front hip dominant. And I am wondering if anybody here has worked with the core velocity belt, and would that be something that would address some of the problems I have?

I'll be honest with you. You need a complete overhaul. There are multiple problems with your mechanics that need to be changed. However, go step by step. First, fix your lower body problem. Look at the photos above that I posted of Lincecum. These are somewhat exaggerated examples of where your upper body (and arm) need to be at the moment your front foot strikes the ground. Your hips should be as open as possible. Your back leg action impedes your hips and, as a result, the hips and upper body come around as one unit giving you absolutely no lower body involvement - you're all arm. While I haven't used the velocity belt, everything I understand about it tells me that it could help you a lot with this problem. Fix the lower body before even thinking about you upper body mechanics.