Skip to main content

Reply to "Lower half pitching mechanics"

Originally Posted by nspeltz11:
Does anybody have any advice on how to fix this issues? Because I agree with you guys that my lower body is poor and is holding me back, but the trouble I have deals with fixing the root cause because I have been unable to find a solution for a quite a while.

Be careful what you're reading here.  Some of these things being put forward for you has more to do with improving velocity than command.  And what I got in your starting post is your interest in improving your command. . .right?

Therefore, I'd say you're on the right track when making an effort to have your front foot land towards home plate and keeping both feet in line with HP as much as possible.  Since your video is only flat ground work AND you didn't really set up like you would pitching to a batter, it's hard to know if you really look the same when pitching off a mound.  But, given what I see, in addition to keeping your feet in line with HP, a bit longer stride would help and maybe reaching out a little more with your throwing hand as you release the ball (Lincecum's dad used to lay a dollar bill out in front of his landing foot for him to reach out to pick up, which was a key exercise for him and his command).  I don't see any issue with your back knee unless you really feel a weakness there and in that case conditioning your legs to make them stronger, which is all I feel you might need for that).

In your case, I see potential for more velocity by getting some rotation in hips and shoulders.  Rather than me trying to explain that in detail, just look closely at few MLB pitcher videos and notice what they have in common along this line.  Then try to emulate it.  If you've got some core strength and flexibility, I feel you'll find quite a bit more velocity.

Wish you the very best and hope it all comes together in this important upcoming season.

PS:  here's a video of Timmy . . .   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrdHEOJvLf8

Last edited by Truman