Skip to main content

Reply to "Machado About Nothing"

SG,

My thinking is to look at it more in context.  This all happened over the course of a weekend series and escalated quickly just as he recently came back from the DL.  I'm not totally 100% clear on who or what instigated this, but I know what I saw Machado do was wrong 100%.  Torre and MLB suspended him for 5 games.  I thought it should have been more (7-10 days), but that is me.  None the less, Machado decided to appeal it (understandably) during the Red Sox series hoping to get his "timeout" reduced. 

He knows he was wrong, and I hope MLB stands firm on the 5 day suspension.  If they don't, I've got issues with them.  I've lost a little bit of respect for Machado, but I don't see him as classless or a serial instigator that will constantly be brought before MLB disciplinarians.  Time will tell, and hopefully he figures it out quickly.  He is the new  role model for many kids in the Balt/Wash area, and the new poster child for Orioles fans everywhere.  I feel fairly certain that Buck Showalter had some "words of advice and encouragement" for the young lad too.