Skip to main content

Reply to "Making sure pitching data for HS games gets posted."

JCG posted:

Little League has far more experience enforcing pitch count rules than all other organizations combined.  If I was implementing pitch count rules, I  would to to school on what has worked and not worked for them.  I don't know how much if any the procedure has changed since I left, but at the time I did umpires had no role.

I love LLI and worked with them before, during, and after they instituted pitch counts limitations. I hate to burst your bubble, but they are the absolute worst organization to look to for policing and enforcement there is. They have no national control or awareness of what pitchers have done, no regional control or awareness, only a very very few districts that do it, and not even all leagues track what’s going on. When our league got going I set up a database for them and guess who called in the data? The umpires.

When you talk about doing something on a state level such as happens in HS, everything should be done so a coach in say SoCal can look up the numbers for a team he’s playing from NorCal. Umpires had and have no role in the LLI process because LLI has no accessible database. A main reason there’s so much angst about going to it in HS is much the same reason. Co has made an effort to collate the data by making it mandatory all teams use MaxPreps to track their data, but without having any way to make sure, it opens up the process for a lot of questions.