Skip to main content

Reply to "Making sure pitching data for HS games gets posted."

CabbageDad:

I can't imagine how fun it must be for an umpire to have to get a coach to sign something after the game.

Last night, I worked a 16U game. Bottom of the 6th inning, beyond the time cutoff for starting a new inning. Ties are permitted. Home team trails by one run. Two outs. Runners on second and third. This particular venue had a local rule prohibiting head first slides into home plate--like most local rules, it was carelessly written and sometimes raises more questions than it addresses.

Base hit to shallow left field. Runner from third scores easily to tie the game. Runner from second attempts to score. Throw is well up the line and slightly in foul territory. Runner arrives in vicinity of catcher just as ball does, alters course to the left to avoid the collision (not to avoid a tag--catcher was still in the act of receiving the ball) and then, depending on your point of view,  a) planted his left foot to regain his homeward bound track and dove head first across home plate, or b) stumbled as he passed the catcher and fell across the plate. 

My partner initially called him safe. Then the visitor coach asked him to enforce the local rule against the head first slide. So my partner changed his ruling and called him out. Then the home coach came out and argued that it was a trip, not a head first slide. 

At that point, my partner asked me for help. I told him that the ambiguity of the "No head-first slides into home plate" rule meant he had to use his judgment to decide on the definition of a head-first slide, whether it matters if it is intentional or the result of a trip, and whether what he saw was a head-first slide as he understands the term. 

If he rules it's a trip or a stumble and not a head-first slide, the run counts, the game is over, and the home team wins.

If he rules it's a head-first slide, the runner is out, the game is over, and it's a tie.

So at your tournament, he has to make the game-ending call and then go hat in hand to an unhappy coach, wading into his post-game conference, and ask him to sign something? Yeah, that should work out just fine. I don't see any problem with that.

P.S. He called him out.