Skip to main content

Reply to "Making the HS Team ??s"

I've always encouraged my boys to learn to play as many positions as possible and to let the coaches sort it out. There were many folks that told me it would be a problem if he didn't "own" a position. One of the HS coaches knew my older son from having coached him pre-HS and, when my son filled out for form with the requested 2 positions he was going to tryout for, the coach grabbed it and in big letters wrote OR ANY OTHER POSITION WE NEED HIM...I gotta believe that can't hurt.

While some of the positions were only in scrimmages, he's played every single position but 1B in his first two season in HS. I'm glad he's been able to give the coaches a reason to put him on the field...I doubt he will see the mound for the rest of his HS career (unless he walks up there to talk to the pitcher) with the pitching that's there, but the coaches know he's an option if they need it.

Maybe that's a utility player, but I think lots of folks consider a utility player to be a backup. That same coach told me that my son was just one of those kids he always wanted on the field and my son's flexibility made it work because he knew he could put him where it worked best for the team...I have no idea if or where he'll play at the next level(s), but I do know he'll raise his hand if the coach ever asks if anyone has experience playing "X". Or, he'll be at ease if the coach asks him to go out to "Y" position.

FWIW, it looks like he'll be at SS this season...