Skip to main content

Reply to "Manny gone from Boston"

quote:
Originally posted by LLorton:
Manny now realizes how Barry Bonds felt... Only true baseball knowledgeable fans understand the value of the 5 tool talent that Bonds and the Ramariz's represent to the a team.
JMO

LL, My impression of the ultimate 5 tool players are Aaron Mays and Clemente. When I hear of 5 tools, I immediately compare to their skills.
I fully agree with you that Bonds was a 5 tool player, both before and after the body reformation. Some are going to say he did not have a plus arm. While that was true, he had such a quick and accurate release and took such good angles to balls, that he more that made up for the strength part. He would have been exposed in right field by his arm but he was not a right fielder and should not be graded on a position he did not play.
Bonds measured on all his tools with Mays/Clemente/Aaron grades well in each tool.
Manny grades well in hitting and hitting for power. But you will never confuse his arm, defense, base running or speed with Aaron, Clemente and Mays. In fact, to suggest he has tools on par with those three when it comes to running/defense/arm is an insult to the tools of Aaron and Clemente and Mays.
With that said, the Red Sox did not get equal value, which is their choice. Their management decisions do not take away from Manny being one of the great hitters of all time. But it also does not make his other 3 tools anything other than average, at best.
Personally, I don't think comparing Manny to Bonds is fair either...to Bonds.
Last edited by infielddad