Skip to main content

Reply to "Manny Ramirez"

quote:
Originally posted by 20dad:
The guy has amazing talent but is there ANYBODY in MLB that sets a worse example for young ballplayers than he does?
----------------------------------------------------
to answer the original question, he is a bad example for young ball players. he doesn't hustle, fields with one hand. in my day that was reggie smith.
he is a poster child for the acedemic under achievers of the baseball world.and there are more than a couple out there. i do find him comical at times, but could have choked him when he didn't run hard when he hit the ball of the wall.but i have come to be tolerant of his antics. like when he was looking to buy a house and had to call his agent to see if he could afford it.
the question should be .why do we see manny actions as ok, yet if our kids did this stuff we'd be all over them? i know ,i know,he didn't ask to be a role model, but who does?

just manny being manny.

Sure he's a role model. But only if we want him to be. And who says we have to use his entire persona as a model. Do I want my son to grow up to be just like Manny? No. Better than a Columbian drug loafer, but still less than I would hope for. I think if my son told me he wanted to hit like Manny I'd be ok with that. I wouldn't mind him being able to play QB like Tom Brady either, but I'd hope he might make a few better decisions in his personal life.

Manny's actions are ok because he is not my kid. My kids are watching him and may even look at some of his actions as being cool or something. That's where I come in.
Last edited by deaconspoint