Skip to main content

Reply to "Marking Launch angles in batting cages?"

2020dad posted:

Dom you are young if I recall?  Please do the baseball community a huge favor and become a coach. We need more like you. You are beating your head against a brick wall a bit here but I admire your tenacity. Folks can we clear this up for the last time...  physics are physics and old school mentality doesn't change that. If you hit the back of the cage first off it might just be caught by the pitcher second it better be absolutely smoked or it may not even make it out of the infield. Second base is 127' 3 3/8" from home plate as we know. A good shortstop who can range behind the bag may be 150'? From the plate. Unless you hit the very top of the back of the cage that's a ground ball. Could it be a ground ball up the middle base hit?  Sure. But better have a pretty good exit velocity. And even so if a guy hits .300 with all singles up the middle...  that's called a useless hitter. Same BA as slugging pct.  not good.  We have to fight this mentality that home runs are 'mistakes'. Home runs and extra base hits are the goal. Pop ups and ground balls are the mistakes. Oh and by the way Dom I know you are meticulous in your research so you may be interested to know that a ball hit at the optimum launch angle if 25 degrees strikes the top of the cage - ready - 12 to 15 feet from the plate depending on how high your cage is and if pitch was high or low. Guarantee kid rips one and it hits top 15 feet down the tobacco spitters are all over him. Dom keep up the good work. Our organization just got hit trax for our brand new facility. Should be operational within the month. Can't wait. Little Johnny with the 65mph exit velocity hitting the back of the cage is officially out of business. Til you can get hit trax or similar the rope idea is great - combined with a gun of course, launch angle without exit velocity is an incomplete picture. Good luck!

thanks for the kind words. I will definitely consider coaching I already assist some hitting coaching. I'm definitely a student of the game but of course coaching is much more than just knowledge, it is also organization, didactics, motivation and much more. 

a good coach with dated knowledge who can teach that well is often better than a bad coach with state of the art knowledge. better a non perfect movement that you can really execute than a shaky movement, skill is more than correct knowledge. 

best is of course both, great teaching skills and state of the art knowledge.