Skip to main content

Reply to "Marking Launch angles in batting cages?"

Dominik85 posted:
2020dad posted:
Goblue33 posted:
2020dad posted:

But one thing is for sure. We have to get Way from this antiquated view of hitting it back at the screen or hitting the back of the cage. 

Um...why?  What's wrong with line drives hard up the middle? 

Well hitting the screen is a ground ball if the pitcher doesn't catch it the shortstop certainly might.  But as stated before even if they do get through they are 100% singles. 100%. And that doesn't win games in reality. 

I can understand lower level coaches though. at lower levels the value of extra base hits goes down and the value of getting on base goes up because defenses and batteries are not good at keeping runners where they are. we all have seen the little league games were a walk is basically a double. 

at the lowest levels strategies like putting the ball on the ground or hit low liners or taking pitches/wait out the pitcher actually often work so they are used by coaches who want to win. 

of course for development it is not good when Tiny number 9 hitter gets primed to look for walks but for him that might be the only chance to get on base even though it won't scale at the next level. 

what is best for development and what is best for winning is not always the same at lower levels. 

100% correct again dom. I got roped into coaching my sons team just once - when he was 10. I refused to do any of the crazy 1st and 3rd stuff or any other crap that isn't done on upper levels.  As stewards of the game we have a responsibility to teach the game the right way. Not the way to win a 10 year old baseball game. Same with the swing. Groove the correct swing. Don't develop a swing geared to youth baseball that will have to be changed later.