Skip to main content

Reply to "Marking Launch angles in batting cages?"

Golfman25 posted:
Dominik85 posted:
2020dad posted:
Dominik85 posted:
2020dad posted:
ironhorse posted:

Someone tell Andrew he's doing it wrong!!! (first video)

https://twitter.com/TheCUTCH22...serp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

I have no idea what he is working on there. Could be anything. But I can guarantee you he is not working in learning to hit the ball back at the pitcher for game conditions. Could there be a reason he is aiming for the screen?  I suppose. But those aren't well hit balls in a game situation I can tell you that. Seeing as though he is a power hitter this is not really how he hits a baseball. If we were actually speaking to him he may have. Reason he is doing what he is doing. I would love to hear it. 

Actually many mlb hitters work on swinging down, hitting low liners and so on. works for them but for many it doesn't . 

Dom they may work on that for some strange reason but. One of them actually swing like that. Fan graphs did a hand path study. Look it up. All hand paths and barrel paths are positive not negative

I know. but for some reason many mlb players actually think they swing down. I feel that many pro coaches  know what a good swing looks like, they can spot an elite swing but they don't know what happens physically. They know the desired end result so the process is basically a try and error process trying a lot of cues that don't have anything to do with the problem. sometimes it works by coincidence but often it doesn't. that might be the reason why many think it cannot be taught.

The work on that to counter act the forces in the swing.  The swing forces are pulling the bat head under the ball. In order to get the angles you guys are talking about you need to counteract those forces.  In other words. If your lauch angle is too high resulting in pop ups working on overemphasing a shallower angle helps correct the problem.  

I'll also add that for most high school players the shallower angle is prefered.  If they have higher angles, many times the have just enough strength to make it a catchable out.  My kids team last year was this.  The kids had nice swings that resulted in a ton of outs.  Everything hit in the air was an out. 

I agree it can make sense for pros because the high level pitches are flatter and almost seem to rise compared to the stuff you face in amateur ball. sometimes it makes sense to work to stay on top.

Problem is that many kids take swing down literally (same can happen with swing up too). thus I would prefer to say swing almost level but slightly up. If he then swings up too much you can tell him to swing a little more level and if he doesn't swing  up enough you can tell him to swing up a little more.