Skip to main content

Reply to "Marking Launch angles in batting cages?"

2020dad posted:

But old school we are having two different conversations here. You are talking about what it might take to win a high school game. I am talking about developing a player. And yes there are many high school players with no desire or ability to play beyond. Let them be the grinders. If you want to play at a higher level you have to develop a swing that will succeed on the higher level.   And MLB hitters distinguish themselves far more with their ability to read pitches and square the ball up. The ability to have an in game exit velocity of 100 is really not all that rare. That's comparable to upper 80's off the tee. And that is pretty common for good travel organizations for sure.   My interest at the moment is developing my son to the best of his ability. Not concerned with a high school game result. Yes I care more about my sons development than his high school teams record. But there is room for both. If we get him hitting gappers and dingers I am pretty sure he will also help his high school team win!

Kind of an important point.  Develop to the kids ultimate potential. If he's got high D1 and pro potential then definately go for MLB exit velocities and launch angles.  But for the other 90+%, work on making them an effective player and a major contributor to their HS team.