Skip to main content

Reply to "Marking Launch angles in batting cages?"

I will learn??  I am 54 years old!!  Not exactly wet behind the ears.  If you read back 15-25 is what I prefer.  This illustration of a batting cage has a marking at 30 degrees.  So I am willing to stick with the 30.  At 90mph exit velo and 30 degrees from my early research that is approx. 4.75 seconds hang time.  4.5 is a very good home to first time.  When running a home to first you are in a total ready to go position and knowing EXACTLY where you are going.  In the outfield you have to react and judge the ball.  Major league reaction time is about .4.  So to get 90 feet would take 4.9 seconds.  Longer than the hang time.  So what is realistic?  80 feet maybe?  Now you have to count on the high school outfielder (you have very little faith in the high school hitter) to take the exact correct path to the ball.  Not to mention not all angles are equal.  Going back is no doubt the hardest.  It is hightly doubtful he gets to a ball hit directly over his head.  Getting to or further than 80 feet in 4.75 seconds is highly unlikely.  But to give your position every benefit of the doubt lets say you can get the 80 feet.  The outfielder is playing about how deep?  250 feet? 275 tops?  Lets say 275.  MLB avrerage is about 300.  A little over in CF and a little less on the corners.  Personally I doubt high schoolers are playing 275 feet deep but again giving you all factors in your favor.   Ball hit 350 feet is bare minimum 75 feet away (over head) if hit directly at the outfielder.  By the way that is the toughest acceleration route so may not even get to 80 feet.  Now as we angle out a little...  The arc of the outfield at fielders depth is 275x1.571= 432.  So if you take 432/4 (representing the four gaps, foul line to rf, rf to cf, cf to lf, and lf to foul line) = 108 feet between outfielders.  So now we get our coverage areas...  Do I really have to finish all this math?  I think we can pretty easily see that a 350 foot fly ball at a 30 degree launch angle in a high school game has a very high probability of being an extra base hit.  The 300 footer is in the air less time but obviously closer to the fielders, still a hit in cases where it really hits the gap but much less chance.  I present you with facts and numbers and science.  You present me with anectdotal evidence at best and a "you will learn".  I am just gonna have to go out on a limb and say my case is just a bit stronger.  Now if we get to the 15-25 degree launch angles I actually advocate its not even worth arguing.  Its not that high school kids can't deliver the needed exit velocity, its that they have been taught to beat it into the ground for far too long.  So thats what they do.