Skip to main content

Reply to "Marking Launch angles in batting cages?"

3and2Fastball posted:
2020dad posted:

Hitting ground balls at any age is plain stupid. I don't care if the fielder makes an error.  You are looking to get better not win that specific high school game. The 'gurus' are just stating what should be obvious to all. Wanting kids to hit the back of the cage is stupid. Period. 

Incorrect.  The goal is to win games.  A good hitter can adjust their game as needed.  Putting the need to "get better" over the needs of a team is entirely wrong at the HS Varsity level.  Players with that kind of mentality should stick to JV Ball and Showcase Ball.

again I advocate line drives, but there are times when hard hit ground balls are exactly what is needed.

Incorrect the goal is to become the best player you can be. And maybe your kid is that big a superstar he can do whatever he wants with the bat.  Mine is not. He has to groove a swing and perfect it - and he is far from that point. Trying to change his swing to please some moron coach who wants him to hit ground balls is only going to put him further behind. Besides he will help any team more by getting the ball elevated. Ground balls are never exactly what you need.  But if you think ground balls are better maybe you should stick to JV ball. Cause if you play against varsity teams who can't catch a ground ball...  you must be in the summer ball contingent if Wisconsin baseball!