Skip to main content

Reply to "Marking Launch angles in batting cages?"

2020dad posted:

Why would it be a waste at 14?  Why is it ever a waste to improve?  Even if some were caught on the warning track at 14 wouldn't many have gone for doubles, triples and homers?  I have seen many many 14's who have at least the capability to hit the ball 350 to 400 feet. 

you lose me here, I have not seen many 14u that can do this consistently, specifically not with wood or BBcor. back in the BSR days I would be more inclined to give you more leeway on this.

And quite honestly the reason they can not do it more consistently is all this coaching for years teaching them to hit the back of the cage!!!  ...

Come on, man... REALLY?         THAT'S why most 14 y.o.'s can't hit it 350-400' ???

Most 14 y.o.'s can't hit the ball that far consistently because they aren't physically developed enough to hit the ball that far, regardless of mechanics or swing plane.  PERIOD.

Hell, our field is typical HS dims - 325 down the line, 375 straight away.  The ball rarely leaves the yard in BP or in games by our varsity players or any other team's V players and when it does, it's usually nearer the corners, closer to 325 than 350.  That's 15-18 y.o. V players.  14 y.o. JV guys?  consistently?  ...  no.  And this includes the kids who are trying to elevate.