Skip to main content

Reply to "Marshall mechanics"

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Yardbird:
wvmtner,

I did not know about the tall ones injury..

I'm surprised most people heard something but they all were saying he blew his shoulder out. Do you keep in touch with Jim at West Coast? Just got off the phone with hime 1/2 hour ago. Kev will be down in Pasaden throwing with them in Jan.

I was upset..pitch/catch

He didn't didn't really chose pitching. He used it as another option. He just wanted to play. I think if one or two different teams would have picked him, he might have got that chance to catch.

About the young one?

Signed at Northridge, thought he would be drafted, Went to JC, switched from SS to Catcher (7.0 60 a little slow)
Some interest in him catching, pitched 5 innings this fall, sparked some interest as a pitcher. we'll see. If not drafted, will go to University of North Dakota next fall. (He wants out of CA)

It's ironic

Honestly, I didn't know there was a controversy over the bottom half (that's where I was talking about not having ammunition for a debate) I just read about his teachings and saw a video of one of his students. The top half is what I really noticed because of the pronation of every pitch.

Kevs injuries are in his right groin that I thought came from overstriding and not pivoting his back foot and leaving it on the rubber too long.

"As you may or may not know Marshall believes you should keep you’re legs forward and drive the way infielders and outfielders throw, a crow step motion?"

I'm not sure what you mean about "keep you're legs forward" but I've always taught all my pitchers to throw in a crow step motion. As a matter of fact, I have them do it from behind the rubber before they start their bullpen.

"I believe his full motion would help the tall one but unfortunately it would also be getting him sent home!"

I'm confused on "full motion"

Even if a pitcher has arm problems, it does not always mean that their mechanics are bad.

"Yes, I’ve heard this theory before and in many cases this can be true.
Which injuries are you speaking of?"

Muscle and Tendon strains . I think that ligament injuries are usually caused by poor mechanics. This is from my observations of pitchers (and myself) over the years. No medical data to back it up, no medical degree either.

You know that pitching puts a tremendous strain on the arm regardless of Traditional/Marshall mechanics.

"Absolutely, Both are ballistic activities. This is why Marshall is not in favor of children under the Biological age of 13 not pitch much in competition because even with his none injurious top half mechanics it perturbs the growth plates in the arm bones just as with the traditional pitching mechanic."

That's why tall one didn't pitch until his Sr. year and young one just pitched this fall.

"just tell him to get his elbow and ball up to driveline height before his glove side foot lands. (This eliminates UCL over stress during initial forward force)"

I stress this point to all pitchers, especially on curveball.

"Get his stride foot to land to the glove arm side of center mass and keep it short to stay taller, this will relieve some of the stress in his hips and help him throw more down hill."

How far left of center line. Is this what's called "flying open" by most pitching coaches?

"He should pronate most of his pitches or all of them and get his elbow up during his ball drive like Lincecum."

Funny you said this. I never could figue out how you pronate on a curveball but noticed that he does it when I watched slow motion video. Maybe that's why not shoulder problems.

"Congenital abnormalities are usually exposed by maximal effort sporting activities, Bo Jackson an extreme but good example of this."

I always thought catching would reveal it before pitching.

"I only look at it as information and then test it."

That's all I do. I should have written my post differently. I don't disagree with Dr. Marshall because of my vast knowledge and research. It's mainly because I have not tried it myself and have not seen any of his students getting signed. I just can't believe that baseball would conspire to keep him out if he was right. I may be wrong.

I am open minded to try anything for myself. I can still throw BP all day (unless it's 100 degrees) I have no arm problems at all. I would be willing to try his methods on myself and form a more educated opinion from there.

“I know that you have a lot more ammunition than I do."

"Again I don’t look at it in this way, this isn’t football why the war terms."

By ammunition I don't mean it aggressively, I simply meant that you have done more research and testing. If you argue a ceartin point, I would probably have no rebuttle for your argument.

If you ever get to West Coast, maybe you can see him throw and see what you think.

It's great to hear from you. Maybe I'll see you sometime?

Whew!! That's the most I've typed since I retired.
Last edited by wvmtner